4 Simple And Easy Tips On How To Maintain Garden Furniture
Beautiful garden furniture can make an average garden look great, but without proper care, it can become weathered and look less attractive over time. This is mainly due to the natural elements – rain, wind, and sun – but don’t fear, it’s not that difficult to make your garden furniture look like new with a few easy steps.
If your garden furniture appears to be grayish in color with deep grooves and cracks, it might be in desperate need of a good dose of TLC. It might need more than just cleaning to revive your outdoor furniture.
4 DIY Tips to Maintain Garden Furniture
Here’s how you can protect your outdoor investment from looking tired and weathered.
Clean it frequently
How you clean your outdoor furniture and what type of wood cleaning product you use, typically depends on the amount of dirt and moisture accumulated on the surface.
Tips for Cleaning
- Always wash your furniture on grass since the chemicals used might stain and discolour your deck or tiles.
- You can also use a pressure washer to get rid of embedded dirt and excess oil but be sure to use the “light” function to avoid damaging the furniture.
- Apply a liquid soap and water mixture before using the hose nozzle, to loosen the dirt. After this step, your garden set should look much better.
If your furniture is not finished with wood polish, treat it with the following mixture:
- 250 ml ammonia
- 120ml vinegar
- 4l of water
Instructions for Cleaning
- Make sure you scrub it thoroughly.
- Once you’ve rinsed it off, wipe it dry with an absorbent cloth to remove as much moisture as possible.
- By using this method, the furniture gets a good clean, but the water doesn’t accumulate in the wood pores.
Create a smooth look by sanding it
Sanding prepares wooden furniture for the painting process.
Tips for Sanding
- After thoroughly cleaning it, let the furniture dry overnight. Once you’re sure the furniture isn’t damp, use a light-grade sandpaper tool to sand it once section at a time.
- If you want to achieve a very slick finish, try feathering the hard edges where the paint stubbornly sticks to the wood.
- When using this technique, it’s best to use a 100-grit sandpaper. This can be done without a sander but be prepared for stiff arms afterwards.
- You might want to place newspaper under your furniture before you begin the sanding process to make cleanup easier.
Apply some oil
Your garden furniture will stay protected and looking great for years to come if you give it the correct care and maintenance.
Tips for Applying Oil
- By applying oil or paint to clean and dry furniture, it will extend the life of the furniture and guarantee optimum protection.
- You can apply teak oil on your garden furniture with a soft cloth, rubbing it in the same direction as the wood grain.
- Regularly applying oil will help get rid of the weathered look and keep your furniture looking beautiful while maintaining its health.
- It will also prevent staining from beverage or food spills.
Give it new life with Paint
Wood can be divided into two categories – softwood and hardwood. Softwood is softer and tends to be less expensive than hardwood. Softwood is typically stained or painted and needs frequent maintenance to keep it looking good.
Tips for Painting
- Since paint protects garden furniture from the sun and excessive moisture, it is an ideal maintenance and treatment option.
- A layer of paint ensures a durable surface to protect your piece against mould growth and discoloration.
- Painted garden furniture has the advantage that it won’t require maintenance as frequently as oil finished furniture but ensure you choose weather resistant paint specifically for outdoor use.
- If you’re looking for a fresh look, paint can give your garden furniture a totally different personality. Why not consider paint, that’s affordable, instead of splurging on new furniture? Another way to enhance your patio is to buy new pillows and accessories.
Many people prefer DIY residential painting, but for those of you who are unsure of which paint or colour to use, you would like to keep costs low, or you simply don’t have the time or energy to do it yourself, it’s best to get the help of a professional. Hiring a professional may cost you less in the long run if you don’t know what you’re doing.
To keep your garden furniture looking perfect and enjoy them year-round, using these simple and easy tips can help you maintain and restore them to look like new.
Author Bio: David Giltner is a content writer at Magic Touch Painting – a company that offers a quality residential and commercial painting. His long experience as a blogger made him an expert on different niches like home improvement.
- Previous What Can Affect the Performance of Your Door?
- Next Tips To keep Your Parquet Flooring in Best Condition