Things You Should Know About Marble Benchtops
Marble is basically a compact crystalline limestone and is popular for creating benchtops in several areas. They can be used in kitchens or bathrooms. It can also be used in fireplaces, bar tops or fronts or office fit outs. Marble benchtops enhance the look of the area. It is one of the most popular materials used in benchtops. However, the polished surface of the marble benchtops is quite fragile and is prone to scratches.
Pros of Installing Marble Benchtops
One of the most essential things that you have to look into after the installation of the marble benchtops is proper care and maintenance. It can be considered one of the most beautiful types of benchtops provided. It is usually suitable for places with light use. The common advantages of installing these types of benchtops are explained below.
- One of the main factors behind the popularity of marble benchtop is its elegant look. It is usually available in numerous colors such as solid white or black and a wide range of other colors such as yellow, green, gray, rose and numerous other striking colors.
- The marble benchtop usually absorbs the heat. It is resistant to heat. It usually stands up to hot pots and pans. It is also very effective when used in fireplaces since marble can withstand occasional spark of heat and thus the color would not fade away due to the heat.
The Process of Cleaning Marble Benchtops
It is mandatory to take care of the marble benchtop to maintain its natural look for years to come. There are two common types of marble available in the market, honed and polished marble. The finish of the honed one is much softer and satin like while the polished one is much shinier and reflects light. The polished one requires slightly high maintenance than the former one. The common steps for cleaning marble benchtops are as follows.
- The first and foremost step for cleaning marble benchtops is to apply a high-grade sealant that would be able to penetrate the marble.
- The sealant must be resealed in an interval of two to five years, though the interval is dependent on the usage.
- For cleaning the benchtops, it is better to wipe the spills as early as possible for best results, otherwise, it may lead to discoloration.
- If oil spills initially it must be soaked up with plain white paper towels. Then it must be covered with a layer of talcum powder or dry corn flour.
- It is better not to use any kind of cleaning product that can burn the surface.
Why it should be avoided in Kitchens?
However, marble bench tops should better be avoided to be installed in the kitchen. Even most of the marble benchtop manufactures do not provide warranty on these products. The basic reasons for not preferring the marble ones are as follows.
- One of the most important reasons is the porosity of marbles. It is much more porous than granite or other materials and it absorbs liquids from spills. It can absorb any liquid such as oil, water, wine, juice and more. The marble absorbs these liquids quickly and stains in no time. Thus, it becomes almost impossible to remove it later. It can even have the same effect in bathrooms. It is better to be cautious with liquids such as liquid makeup, nail polish and other materials that can create stains.
- Marble is also not sturdy enough to be used in the kitchen. It is preferred in spaces where heavy materials are not used generally. The marble can easily be damaged by the sharp knives which can destroy the beauty of the marble. Heavy utensils can also cause severe damage to the marbles.
These are some of the things you need to know while installing marble benchtop.
About the Author: This post is written by Joseph Webb. Joseph is an excellent blogger and philosophers, His keen observation to provide useful information which helps readers to get more ideas.
- Previous Drop the Brush: What Needs to be Done to Your Exterior Aside From Painting?
- Next Reasons Why Local Conveyancing Solicitors Are Suggested?